These 15 minute healthy meals will change your life. They’re easy to make, use cheap ingredients, are healthy (to me, at least) and taste delicious.
OVERNIGHT OATS RECIPE
Ingredients (serves 1)
– 50g rolled or porridge oats
– 100g milk
– 40g Greek yogurt
– 1 tbsp sweetener (e.g. honey, maple syrup or xylitol)
– pinch of cinnamon
– pinch of salt
– extra mix-ins (e.g. chocolate powder, fruits, etc)
– extra toppings (e.g. maple syrup, sliced banana, tahini, peanut butter, etc)
– Mix everything together and leave in the fridge for at least 8 hours
– Top with extras as desired
GARLICKY LEEKS ON TOAST RECIPE
Ingredients (serves 1)
– 1 tbsp EVOO
– 1 tbsp butter
– 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
– 4 garlic cloves, minced with Microplane
– 1 tsp smoked paprika (or other hot spice)
– 2 eggs
– 2 slices of bread (wholemeal for healthier, sourdough for tastier)
– 3 tbsp Greek yogurt
– Lemon juice
– Salt (table and Maldon rock salt) and pepper
– Hot sauce (e.g. Frank’s)
– Heat 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add leeks and garlic and sauté until the leeks are soft, about 6-8 minutes.
– 1 minute before done, add 1 tsp smoked paprika (or other hot spice), then take off heat.
– In a non-stick pan, heat up 1 tbsp EVOO on medium heat. Once hot, crack in 2 eggs and immediately season with salt and pepper. Cook until done.
– Meanwhile, cook 2 slices of bread in toaster. Once toasted, cover both slices with Greek yogurt alongside a pinch of Maldon sea salt and pepper.
– Split the fried leeks between the two slices, then top with eggs, a squeeze of lemon juice, and hot sauce.
QUICK TOMATO SAUCE AND PASTA RECIPE
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 shallot
– Seeds and spices: 1 tsp mustard seeds, etc (add whatever you like)
– Aromatics: 4 garlic cloves (again, add whatever you like)
– 1 tbsp tomato puree
– 350g passata
– 1-2 tbsp balsamic (could also use a pinch of sugar and some lemon juice instead)
– 4 pork sausages, unlinked
– 1 tbsp butter
– 250g pasta (fusilli, ideally)
– Handful fresh basil
– Chives, finely sliced
– Dice shallot as finely as possible
– Heat 1 tbsp EVOO on medium heat. When hot, add the diced shallot and sauté for as long as possible to caramelise them. At least 5 minutes, but the longer the better.
– Once caramelised, add 4 cloves of garlic grated on a Microplane, alongside any other aromatics, seeds or spices. (Frying the spices and aromatics in the oil is called “tempering” and it releases more flavour from the seeds and spices).
– Add 1 tbsp tomato puree to the pan and fry until it turns a brick-red colour. This is also bringing out the paste’s flavour.
– About 1 minute later, add 350g passata, 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and a handful of fresh basil and mix everything together.
– Reduce heat and let simmer
– Just before mixing with pasta, taste and adjust salt and pepper and balsamic as needed.
– Meanwhile, cook sausages (I’m using J Kenji Lopez-Alt’s method):
– Place the sausages into a pan, submerge with cold water. Bring the pan to a boil over high heat.
– Poach the sausages until they register 60-65C on an instant-read thermometer.
– Once the temperature has been reached, drain the sausages in a colander. Wipe out the pan with paper towels, heat over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp butter.
– Fry the sausages until browned all over.
– Slice the sausages into bite-size chunks.
– Bring pan of salty water to a boil.
– Add 250g pasta and cook until al dente — thats about 7 mins for this (specific times will depend on the pasta used — larger pasta takes longer to cook, smaller takes less time).
– After 7 minutes, add some of the pasta water to the tomato sauce and mix well. Drain the pasta and add to the pasta to the sauce
– Top the pasta with sausages then mix through
– Top with sliced chives
– BBCGoodFood garlickly leeks: [https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chilli-garlic-leeks-eggs-toast](https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chilli-garlic-leeks-eggs-toast)
– Filmed with a Sony A6000
– Audio recorded with a Shure SM58
– Edited with Adobe Premiere Pro